Thursday 21 August 2014

Autumn treats

"The crickets sang in the grasses. They sang the song of summer’s ending, a sad, monotonous song. “Summer is over and gone,” they sang. “Over and gone, over and gone. Summer is dying, dying.”

The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everybody that summertime cannot last forever. Even on the most beautiful days in the whole year — the days when summer is changing into fall the crickets spread the rumor of sadness and change." Charlotte's Web, E. B. White

This is a beautiful piece of writing from a lovely book, but actually, I tend to find Autumn the most invigorating time of the year. Summer this year has been very hot and very, very busy. I've found the heat making me lethargic.

Now they're baling up the hay, the blackberries are ripening, the nights are drawing in and I'm starting to need a cardigan or trench coat. I'm starting to feel a bit of a spring in my step!

I think it's well known that autumn is the most exciting season for fashion, but other treats of the season include moving back to red wine and being able to snuggle up at home in slippers and a comfy hoodie.

Tonight I made a crumble of blackberries picked from wild bushes and proper English Bramley cooking apples. My lovely husband popped out and got Madagascar vanilla cream from ASDA (a supermarket). Yummo!

Can you tell I've fallen off the diet wagon? I did go for a walk at lunchtime, so that's something.

Anyway, what's your favourite treat of the Autumn season? Later on I'll be enthusing about ankle boots and wool coats but right now, picking blackberries is enough for me.

2 comments :

  1. Well worth a slight break from watching what one eats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crumble is a reasonably healthy indulgence anyway... it's mostly fruit. I often think that it would be fine for breakfast as oats and fruit are what I eat then too.

      Delete

I get really excited when I shout into the void and the void says "hello" back at me. Thanks for your comments!