Monday 24 February 2014

Gosh, I miss...

So I'm about to pop back to New Zealand for a visit. People occasionally ask me 'are you homesick?' or 'what do you miss?'. To be honest, I'm not really homesick and I don't miss much about New Zealand other than my friends and family and cat. I haven't really craved particular foods like this article suggests people do. Maybe part of the reason is that New Zealand food is basically British food as the country was settled/ invaded by the Brits a couple of hundred years ago.

That said, when I'm back in New Zealand what will I be indulging in?

New Zealand Marmite
A totally different beast to the English version or the Australian Vegemite. I've loved Marmite since I was a child. I used to get a teaspoon of Marmite and dip it in a cup of milk, then suck the milk off, then re-dip etc. (This isn't the normal New Zealand method of consumption!)

Weetbix
Not Weetabix which goes soggy the moment it touches milk. Weetbix is a bit tastier and firmer in texture.

Twisties
Far cheesier than Wotsits - and much more brightly coloured.

Kumura
A type of sweet potato - excellent roasted with potatoes, pumpkin, parsnips and served with lots of gravy!

Kim Crawford un-oaked Chardonnay, New Zealand
New Zealand wines
Especially Pinot Noir and Sauvingnon Blanc and Kim Crawford's unoaked Chardonnay. In my price range, I've only seen rather odd and unpleasant New Zealand wines in supermarkets in England. You can find a few good brands like Oyster Bay, but they're generally a bit expensive for me. It is nice to have access to a huge range of French, Spanish, Chilean etc. wines over here but sometimes I miss a good Kiwi wine.

So, I think that's about it. What about you - what's your taste of home? Is there anything you miss when you're away?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I get really excited when I shout into the void and the void says "hello" back at me. Thanks for your comments!